Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella

This book, written by Alan Schroeder and illustrated by Brad Sneed, was recommended me in a comment by a classmate. This blog has been such a good forum for discussion! Since the other two versions of the Cinderella story that I read were from foreign countries, I thought it would be interesting to read a different version from America.

The first thing that struck me about this book was that it is written in the dialect of the people living in Appalachia. I thought that was such a neat addition! It made it seem more like someone was actually telling me this story and less like I was reading it. The use of the dialect also added extra elements of the Appalachian culture to the story. I mentioned this before, but my family is from Appalachian North Carolina and a lot of them still live there, so it was kind of comforting to read something written in this dialect. Schroeder also used wonderful, descriptive language in telling the story, for example “but talkin’ to her was like kickin’ an agitated rattler” and “Now stand up and turn around real fast, like ye got a whompus cat bitin’ at yer britches.” The author could have said that the man didn’t like talking to his wife and that she should stand up and turn around quickly, but instead he chose to convey it this way, which adds even more Appalachian culture to the story.

For some reason, Sneed’s illustrations remind me of the painting “American Gothic.” I’m not sure if it’s the style both artists used, or just that the subject matter reminds me of that picture, but there is definitely some sort of similarity there. While the pictures weren’t particularly pretty, I loved looking at the expressions on the characters’ faces. Everything seemed so comical. I especially liked the picture on the last page of Rose and Seb as adults, still living in Tarbelly Creek. This was a great way to tie the story together.

This story also shares some common features with the familiar American Cinderella story as well as the other two versions. First of all, Rose’s father marries another woman, and Rose is forced to serve her stepmother and two stepsisters. The stepmother and stepsisters are invited to a dance by a rich man named Seb who lives across the creek, but Rose is not allowed to go. After her family leaves for the dance, Rose begins crying and the pigs come to talk to and help her, much like Cinderella’s fairy godmother and animal friends in the familiar version. Instead of going to the party in a pumpkin, Rose goes in a mushmellon, again integrating elements of Appalachian culture with the story. Because the spell runs out at midnight, Rose leaves the dance in a hurry and left her glass slipper. The rich man from across the creek finds it, searches for its owner, finds Rose, and marries her.

This book reminds me of some elements of Appalachia by Cynthia Rylant. I am glad I read her book first because it allowed me some insight into different aspects of the culture and way of life of the Appalachian people. It was also interesting to see a different perspective on the same region. Like Rylant’s book, this book would be a great way to teach young readers about a region of the United States they might not be familiar with. On the other hand, this book’s use of dialect might make it a little difficult for readers not familiar with this way of speaking to understand it. Rylant’s book is much more understandable to everyone, so perhaps it would be better to start with her book before moving on to this one.

No comments: