Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Giver

Lois Lowry’s Newberry award-winning science fiction novel The Giver tells the story of a 1984-like community. I remember reading it in fifth or sixth grade, and my sister re-read it last summer and suggested that I read it for this class. I have conflicting feelings about this book. On the one hand, I really enjoyed it, but on the other hand, I was so distressed when I was finished reading. I just can’t imagine such a place.

The community has eradicated all pain and suffering, and as a result, it is presented as a fairly utopian society. When the kids turn twelve years old, they are given a job to fulfill without having any say in this process. When Jonas turns twelve, he is selected to be trained as the new “Receiver of Memory”. He is told that this job will bring a lot of pain, but that he is brave and that he Elders, who make the important decisions, have faith in him. What courage Jonas must have as the memories of the past, both good and bad, are transmitted to him! Throughout the year, he and the current Receiver of Memory (the “Giver”) talk about their community and why it is the way it is. Jonas helps the Giver come to the conclusion that something must be done about it. Jonas and the Giver make a plan for Jonas to escape when they watch as a newchild is “released” simply because he was born an identical twin. Their plan has to be put quickly into action when Jonas realizes that he must save a newchild, Gabriel, who came to live with them, from release. He sneaks off in the middle of the night with Gabriel and travels to Elsewhere.

The one thing that struck me as I was reading this book is that Jonas and the other children have no say in what job they are assigned. Jonas never asks or applies to be the Receiver of Memory, but he has to accept his new job. I can’t imagine ever living in a society where that would happen. For example, I can’t imagine someone telling me I have to be a trash collector and I just have to do it. That’s what happens to Jonas. When I was reading the book, I had this sense of fear and anger because this twelve-year old boy is forced to take a job that involves pain and suffering; he never asks for it.

This book brings up multiple themes. First of all, it talks about the importance of individuality. Because of the Sameness in the community, individual differences in people are not emphasized. It is not until children are twelve that their individuality is ever recognized. When they are twelve, they are assigned jobs that fit into their personalities and go along with their varying interests. Lowry is telling her readers to accept everyone’s individual differences. This book also emphasizes the role of memory in the human experience. Without memory of past events, humankind can never learn from its mistakes. This is why the Giver was so important to the community; he alone had possession of the memories with which to guide them in new situations. Everyone needs to have access to memories to help guide their decision-making.

I wish there had been more closure at the end of the book. While it is clear that Jonas is able to escape and ends up Elsewhere, I would like to know what happens when he gets there. Where does he live? What happens to Gabriel? How does Jonas adjust to his new life? What becomes of the community he left behind?

No comments: